So how does a Chromebook look?
Above images are taken from respective manufacturer websites just to give you an idea of how Chromebooks look.
As seen here, Chromebooks are very similar to laptops in the way they look and feel. So if you are a user who wants to have a laptop like interface while using an Android app, then Chromebook is certainly an option. Chromebooks are also available at lower price points than the starting range of Windows Laptops. You can buy them from Amazon or Flipkart. However, before purchasing, read the next point!
Do all Chromebooks support Android Apps?
Unfortunately No. You have to be very careful while choosing the Chromebook if your objective is to run Android apps. List of Chromebooks supporting Android apps is published by Google at https://sites.google.com/a/chromium.org/dev/chromium-os/chrome-os-systems-supporting-android-apps
So make sure the model you are purchasing is listed on this site.
Do all Android Apps run on Chromebooks?
No. Chromebooks do not have SIM Card. So caller ID apps which have SIM as a requirement will not function. Similarly, there are other apps requiring GPS etc which could be incompatible with Chromebooks.
Does MyOPD ZIP for Android run on Chromebooks?
Yes. MyOPD ZIP Android app will be available for those Chromebooks which run Android apps as per the list given by Google.
What is the advantage of using MyOPD ZIP Android app on a Chromebook?
- You get a laptop like interface while using MyOPD ZIP app which feels more comfortable, with a bigger screen.
- Your phone remains available for other tasks. So battery on your phone will last longer.
- Data between MyOPD ZIP on Chromebook and MyOPD ZIP on your Phone will remain in sync based on internet connectivity. So even if you enter data on Chromebook, all the data will be available in your app on the phone.
- You can use WhatsApp Multi-Device via the Browser on your Chromebook and share Prescription PDFs as well.
- If you are sending SMS reminders via SIM, they will be sent from your Phone, once the data entered on Chromebook is available on the phone.
- Photos and Documents attached to Patient record on Phone will be available on the Chromebook as well. If you choose the reception plan, this sync is almost instant.
What is not available on the Chromebook?
Please note, that Google Chromebook is not a Windows Laptop. So you will not be able install Windows Applications, Setup files etc on Google Chromebooks. You can still use Microsoft Office and other apps via their Web Interface i.e. Browser. However, Microsoft has discontinued the allowing Office Android Apps on Google Chromebooks (Read More). For similar use, Chromebooks allow Google Sheets, Google Docs and so on.
If you are looking for a laptop like interface to operate your Clinic Management System without losing the benefits of MyOPD ZIP Android app, you can think of choosing a Chromebook along with your existing Android device. App data on both the devices will remain in sync. However, don’t expect the Chromebook to be a replacement to your existing Windows laptop for all the things you do on the laptop.